Amish Orange Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 tablespoons orange zest (no white bitter pith)
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup olive oil (not extra virgin)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoon orange liquor (or additional orange juice)
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest (optional)
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Line a 9x5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper or generously butter and flour the entire pan. Do not use baking spray. This cake is very tender so it is important to be able to gently remove it from the pan.
- Sift flour together with baking powder and set aside.
- Zest oranges and set aside.
- Juice oranges and set aside.
- In a stand or hand-held mixer using the whip attachment, mix eggs until completely smooth. Add sugar and mix on high until the mixture has gained 50% in volume.
- Gradually while mixing on very low - add oil, salt, and liquor.
- Alternately, add flour and orange juice in 5 steps, starting with and ending with flour. Scrape well in between.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and place in oven.
- Bake until an inserted toothpick comes out clean, about 1 hour 10 minutes. If cake turns too dark before being done, cover it with a lightly buttered piece of foil.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan
- Once the cake is nearly cool, prepare glaze by whisking powdered sugar and orange juice until smooth. Add zest if using.
- Brush on cake. Serve warm or at room temperature.