Angel Food Cake
- 1 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1 1/4 cups Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 1/2 cups egg whites (from 10-12 large eggs)
- 2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Zest of 1 lemon, finely grated
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift flour and powdered sugar twice and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whip egg whites, sugar, cream of tartar, vanilla extract, and salt on medium speed until medium peaks form. Add almond extract and lemon zest. Then, stop whipping. Do not whip to stiff peaks!
- Using a spatula, gently fold in flour-powdered sugar mixture.
- Spoon batter into an ungreased angel food cake or tube pan.
- Place in oven and bake for 40-45 minutes or until cake bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger. The cake will initially rise and near end of baking start to shrink slightly.
- Turn pan upside down and allow to cool.
- Run a knife around the edges of pan to loosen the cake.
- Serve as is or with sorbet, fruit, ice cream, etc.
Did you know that angel food cake contains no fat or cholesterol? Serve it with fresh fruit or sorbet for an elegant and delectable dessert completely free of fat.