Animal Cracker Cookies
- 2 1/2 cups + 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, soft
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg whites
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift together flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and baking powder and set aside.
- Cream butter until smooth, add sugar and mix more. Add egg whites, salt and vanilla and mix well but not until light and fluffy.
- Add sifted ingredients all at once and mix until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Press dough flat on a plastic food film lined cookie sheet and chill in refrigerator until firm enough to roll. About 1 hour or leave overnight.
- This dough tends to become soft very quickly during rolling. Tip: place 2 cookie sheets filled with ice cubes on the area where you will be rolling dough. This will keep dough longer cool and make it easier to work. Using the least amount of flour during rolling will give the most delectable result.
- Turn on oven. Sprinkle the work surface with a small amount of flour and roll 1/4 of dough 4 stacked credit cards thick. Cut into desired shapes and place on parchment, silicone baking mat lined or buttered cookie sheets. Repeat with remaining dough.
- If desired imprint the cookies using a small spoon or a toothpick for eyes etc.
- Bake until golden-light brown, about 12 minutes, baking time will depend on thickness of cookies.
These cookies have a delicious buttery flavor that kids will love.