Apple Apricot Walnut Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 cup uncooked whole rolled oats
- 2/3 cup firmly packed Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup finely chopped peeled apple (about 1 large apple) Granny Smith or Rome recommended
- 1/2 cup diced dried apricots
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecan or walnuts
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine flour the oats, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. Rub mixture between your fingertips to evenly distribute brown sugar.
- Add apple, apricots and nuts to dry mixture. Toss.
- In a separate bowl, whisk milk with eggs, melted butter and vanilla, then pour into dry mixture. Stir until just moistened.
- Coat a standard 2 1/2 muffin tin well with a non-stick spray and divide batter evenly among cups.
- Bake in a preheated 400° F oven for 20-25 minutes or until muffins are golden brown and spring back if lightly pressed in their centers.
- Cool 5 minutes, then loosen and turn muffins out of tin.
- Serve warm or cool to room temperature on a rack.