Apple Cinnamon French Toast Cupcake with Bacon Maple Cream Frosting
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg or 2 egg whites
- 1 3/4 cups sifted white or whole wheat flour + 1 tablespoon reserved for filling*
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon for filling
- 1/2 cup packed Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) melted butter
- Cooked applewood smoked bacon pieces/bits
- 3 medium sized Granny Smith apples, sauteed
- 8 ounces reduced fat cream cheese
- 2 cups Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- Beat butter and granulated sugar in medium sized bowl. Add vanilla and egg. Beat well.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, salt and baking powder. Add flour mixture alternately with milk to sugar mixture. Dough will be sticky.
- For filling, mix together brown sugar, cinnamon, melted butter and flour until a grainy paste is formed.
- Fill cupcake liners 1/4 full with cupcake batter. Pipe in an index-sized finger amount of filling and top with remaining cupcake batter until 3/4 full. Repeat.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool. Mix all frosting ingredients and frost cupcakes. Top with sauteed apples and bacon pieces.
This is a bacon maple cream cheese frosting on top of an apple cinnamon french toast cupcake.
For added moisture to the cupcake, increase the amount of butter by 2 tablespoons.