Apple Cranberry Cake
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/4 + 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Zest of 2 oranges (no white bitter pith)
- 3 extra large or jumbo eggs
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 6 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1 Granny Smith apple cut in small cubes
- 1/2 cup fresh or defrosted frozen cranberries
- For dusting Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter and flour a 9 x 13 inch cake pan and set aside.
- In a bowl sift together flour, baking soda and cream of tartar and set aside.
- Place orange zest and eggs in a large bowl and whip until combined using a hand held mixer or stand mixer.
- Add sugar and whip for 5 minutes on medium speed until mixture is thick and fluffy.
- On very low speed thoroughly mix in vanilla, salt and sour cream. Mix in flour until just combined and smooth.
- Place butter in a microwave and heat until melted but not hot. Add to cake batter followed by apples and cranberries.
- Scrape batter in prepared pan and place in oven until golden and center of cake bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger or an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before turning out of pan.