Apple Cranberry Phyllo Turnovers
- 1 package (16-oz) phyllo dough, 9 x 14 inch sheets
- 3 medium Granny Smith apples, not cold or refrigerated!
- 6 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 cup cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, preferably Vietnamese
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Thaw phyllo dough according to directions.
- Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Peel and quarter apples. Remove core then cut each wedge lengthwise in 4 equal slices. Cut crosswise in about 4-5 slices. Set aside.
- Add sugar to a large saucepan and shake to create an even layer of sugar. Heat on medium to high heat and watch carefully for first signs of sugar melting and turning into caramel. When sugar begins to melt, rotate and swirl pan to melt sugar evenly. Reduce heat to medium and continue. When half of sugar is melted, use a wooden spoon or heat resistant spatula to stir.
- When most of sugar is caramelized, add apple slices all at once and stir. Caramel will cling to apples but will melt as you continue stirring.
- After about 5-7 minutes, apples will be fork tender. Add cranberries and stir for several more minutes until cranberries pop and break down into apple mixture. Remove from heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon butter, vanilla and cinnamon. Stir, remove from heat and set aside while preparing dough.
- Melt 1/2 stick butter down to liquid but not bubbling. Set aside along with a pastry brush.
- In a small bowl, beat egg with a pinch of salt until blended.
- Remove and unfold a sheet of phyllo dough onto a flat work surface. Do not worry if dough crumbles and tears here and there.
- Brush surface of dough with a thin, even coat of melted butter. Layer with another sheet of dough and brush again lightly with butter.
- Fold sheet into a 3 fold. (Grab left and right side of sheet and overlap towards each other. Uou will now have a sheet roughly 4.5 inches by 9 inches.) Fold sheet forwards in half to obtain a square of about 4.5 x 4.5 inches.
- Place a generous amount (as much that will fit when folded over) of apple filling in center. Brush edges very lightly with beaten egg wash and fold over one corner to opposite one. Gently press edges to seal and place on a cookie sheet.
- Repeat steps 13 & 14 until all filling has been used.
- Place pans in oven and bake turnovers 15-18 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with powdered sugar.