- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 apples, Golden Delicious or Granny Smith
- Crumb-Streusel Topping
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cold
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1/4 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 10 X 10-inch baking dish with non-stick spray or butter. Set aside.
- In a bowl combine first 4 listed ingredients.
- Peel and core apples and cut in 4 equal wedges. Cut each wedge lengthwise in 4 equal slices and cut crosswise in 4 pieces to obtain chunks. Place in bowl above and toss.
- Place filling in prepared baking dish. Place on a cookie sheet and set aside.
- Cut butter in small pieces. Combine and sift remaining ingredients and mix in butter. Mixture can be briefly pulsed in a food processor, or using a fork, press butter into flour mixture until coarse meal is obtained.
- Sprinkle streusel generously on apples and place in oven.
- Baking temperature will depend on depth of baking dish used. Filling will be bubbly when apples are tender, a sign of doneness.
- After baking sprinkle with confectioners powdered sugar and serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.