Apple Crumb Pie with Butter Rum Sauce
- One 9-inch Pure Butter Pie Crust
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon Juice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 7 apples (4 Granny Smith + 3 Golden Delicious)
- 3 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour*
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons packed Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold unsalted butter
Butter Rum Sauce
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup packed Imperial Sugar Dark Brown Sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Prepare or thaw a 9-inch pie crust and place on an aluminum foil lined cookie tray for easy clean up after baking. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, lemon juice, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt.
- Peel apples one at a time. Quarter apples and cut each quarter in 5-6 slices. Cut each slice crosswise in half. Toss in sugar mixture to prevent browning of apples. Once all apples are incorporated, add flour.
- Arrange apple filling in a huge dome shape in pie crust. It will seem as a lot, but try to get all apple filling in pie as it will settle down after baking. Melt butter and pour over apple filling.
- Prepare crumble: Combining flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl. Using a cheese grater, grate very cold butter into small pieces directly onto flour mixture.
- Rub between your hands to turn into crumbles.
- Sprinkle crumble topping generously over apples and place in oven. Bake until apple filling makes thick bubbles (consistency of honey) which are visibly dripping out of pie, about 2 hours. If pie gets too dark during baking cover loosely with aluminum foil.
- If desired cut leaves using pie dough and place on a cookie sheet. Using a paring knife cut veins. Brush lightly with water and sprinkle with granulated sugar. Place in oven until golden, about 15 minutes. Place on the baked pie.
- For sauce: In a saucepan combine cream, butter, brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon stick and stir to a full boil. Reduce heat and simmer on low for 2-3 minutes. Once cooled add vanilla and rum, and remove cinnamon stick.
- Cut pie in wedges and place on plates. Heat sauce until lukewarm and pour sauce on each slice.