- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 1/2 cups minus 1 tablespoon Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup avocado, olive, peanut, or other oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk or milk
- 2 large Granny Smith or Golden Delicious apples
- 1 1/2 cups Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 4 tablespoons milk or water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- For streusel combine all ingredients in a bowl and rub mixture between hands until crumbs form. Set aside.
- Line 2 cupcake or muffin tins with 24 paper cups or brush tins with a thin coat of melted butter and dust with flour. Set aside.
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Whisk oil and eggs until well blended. Add vanilla and milk. Set aside.
- Peel apples and cut into 4 wedges. Remove core and cut each wedge lengthwise in 4. Cut crosswise into 8 pieces to obtain small apple pieces. Add to wet ingredients.
- In one step add dry ingredients and using a rubber spatula mix briefly. Batter should look insufficiently mixed. Over mixing will make muffins rubbery.
- Scoop into muffin pans and sprinkle with streusel.
- Place in oven. Bake until center of muffins bounce back when lightly pressed with a finger, about 20-23 minutes.
- Once muffins are lukewarm make glaze by whisking together powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla. Drizzle onto muffins and sprinkle with pecan pieces.