Apple Sun Dried Cherry Coffee Cake
- 1 3/4 cups + 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 stick (1/2 cup.) unsalted butter, very soft
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 large Granny Smith apples
- 3/4 cup sun dried cherries or cherry flavored cranberries
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Line a 9 x 13-inch cake or deep pan with parchment paper or brush with melted butter. Sprinkle evenly with flour; set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and baking soda; set aside.
- Peel and cut apples in 4 equal wedges. Remove core and cut each wedge in 4 length wise slices. Cut crosswise in about 5 to create cubes; set aside. Granny Smith apples will not oxidize.
- Mix butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add salt and then add eggs one at a time, scraping between additions. Add vanilla.
- Mix on low speed, alternately adding dry ingredients with sour cream until all is used.
- Add 2/3 of apples and cranberries and mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Scrape into pan and top with remaining apple pieces.
- Place in oven and bake until center bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger, about 33 minutes.
This cake keeps well for several days when stored in an air-tight container at room temperature.