Applesauce Spice Muffins with Dried Cranberries
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 1/4 cups Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk (or plain yogurt)
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Whisk both flours, oats, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk oil, buttermilk, applesauce, and eggs until smooth.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir with a wooden spoon until just moistened. Fold in cranberries.
- Cover and store in refrigerator overnight or up to one week.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 400°F. Line muffin tins with paper liners. Fill muffin cups about 3/4 full and bake in the center of the oven for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Centers will spring back when pressed.
Imperial Sugar Insight
This recipe was originally published in the 1996 edition of the Homemade Good News Cookbook.