Aussie Strawberry Rainbow Cake
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, soft
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoon Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 6 large egg yolks at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon strawberry extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup + 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup sliced strawberries + 2 cups whole strawberries
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter and flour two 8- or 9-inch baking pans and set aside. (Fitting a round piece of parchment paper on the bottom of baking pan is recommended for easy removal of cake.)
- Sift together flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- Mix butter until very creamy and smooth. Add first listed sugar and mix until light and fluffy. Add one egg yolk at a time and mix at least 30-seconds between each.
- Add salt and strawberry extract.
- Add 1/3 of flour and mix until combined. Add 1/2 of buttermilk and mix until smooth. Add another 1/3 of flour and mix until smooth. Add remaining buttermilk, and once combined, add remaining flour.
- Divide batter into pans and place in oven and bake for 25-28 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes clean.
- After 5 minutes turn pans upside down on plastic food lined surface and allow to cool completely.
- Bring second listed sugar and water to a boil in a saucepan. Once boiling add sliced strawberries and return to a boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Blend to a very fine sauce and let cool completely.
- Place a cooled cake layer on a serving tray. Cut away the top surface crust. Spoon half of strawberry sauce onto cake. It will take some time for the sauce to be fully absorbed.
- Spread cream cheese frosting onto moistened cake layer and top with another cake layer. Cut away surface crust and spoon remaining sauce onto cake.
- Once sauce has been absorbed by cake decorate the surface with cut strawberries.
- Place frosting in a piping bag filled with a small piping tip and pipe into a circular fashion all over sides and part of the surface.
- Sprinkle strawberries generously with powdered sugar and keep refrigerated.
This recipe originally appeared in the 1993 Homemade Good News Vol. XIII, No. 2, page 4.