Bacon and Cheddar Waffles with Caramelized Apples
- Caramelized Apples
- 1 tablespoon butter, unsalted
- 2 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Dark Brown Sugar
- 2 cups peeled and sliced Granny Smith or Gala apples
- 1/2 cup apple juice (or 1/2 cup of apple juice and 1/2 cup bourbon)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 2/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup melted butter, unsalted
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Melt butter in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Once the butter begins to brown and turn light golden, add brown sugar and stir until combined. Add apples and apple juice (or apple juice bourbon mix) and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes until the liquid is the consistency of a thin syrup.
- Preheat waffle iron.
- In a large bowl, mix to combine flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- In another bowl, mix to combine milk, butter, eggs, and vanilla extract. Pour into the flour mixture and stir until just combined, being careful not to over mix. Fold in the cheddar and the bacon crumbles.
- Using the batter, follow the directions to bake waffles according to your waffle iron.
- Serve waffles warm with the caramelized apples and a spoonful of the apple syrup.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Meredith Steele @InSockMonkeySlippers.