Baked Brie with Balsamic Glazed Strawberries
- 1 1/2 cups balsamic vinegar
- 6 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 8-ounce brie
- 1 sheet puff pastry (1/2 package)
- 1 egg
- 1 pint strawberries, sliced to desired size
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Prepare balsamic vinegar reduction first as it keeps for weeks. In a small saucepan bring to a boil vinegar and sugar until reduced to a thick syrup with a similar consistency as molasses. About 10-15 minutes depending on size of pan and heat source used.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla. Set aside. Once cooled, if mixture is too thick, liquefy with a few drops of water.
- Remove puff pastry sheet from freezer and allow thawing for approximately 10 minutes or soft enough to unfold.
- Line a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough (still very cold) to about 20% larger.
- Place Brie round onto dough and cut dough using a pizza wheel 2.5-inch wider than Brie.
- Grab dough edge and fold towards center of brie. Continue until all dough is wrapped around brie.
- Turn Brie upside down and place on cookie sheet.
- Beat egg and brush surface of puff pastry wrapped Brie.
- With remaining dough cut leaves. (If needed return to freezer for a few minutes to make this easier.)
- Using a paring knife cut veins into leaves and place on brie. Brush with egg wash and place in oven.
- Bake for approximately 30-35 minutes. Puff pastry should be deep golden light brown color. Removing it too soon from oven will result in a soggy puff pastry.
- If cooled balsamic glaze seems too thick, dilute it with a few drops of water. Cut strawberries in desired size. Toss with balsamic glaze.
- Top Brie with balsamic glazed strawberries just before serving.