Baked Cake Doughnuts with Praline Sauce
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter, soft
- 1/2 cup minus 1 tablespoon Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg, or cardamom
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup firmly packed Imperial Sugar Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup pecan pieces
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- Mix soft butter until very creamy. Add sugar and mix until very smooth.
- Add one egg at a time waiting for previously added egg to be fully incorporated. Mix until light and fluffy. Add salt, vanilla, and spice.
- Add 1/3 of flour mixture, and once combined, add 1/2 of buttermilk. Once incorporated, add another 1/3 of flour mixture, and once combined, add remaining buttermilk followed by flour mixture.
- Butter non-stick doughnuts pan and fill 2/3 full using a spoon or a piping bag.
- Place in oven and bake for 15-17 minutes or until doughnuts bounce back when lightly pressed with a finger.
- Unmold and let cool.
- To prepare praline sauce, bring brown sugar, whipping cream, butter, and salt to a boil in a medium-sized saucepan. Boil for three minutes and remove from heat.
- Add vanilla extract and pecans and stir to combine.
- Wait a few minutes for sauce to cool and thicken before spooning over doughnuts.