Baked Cannoli Dipped in Chocolate
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
- 2 large egg whites
- 6 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 2 tablespoon butter + more for greasing
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 15 oz container ricotta cheese
- 8 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- Zest of one lime, no white bitter pith
- 1/3 cup milk or dark chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Scatter sliced almonds onto a cookie sheet and leave in oven until light golden, about 9-11 minutes. Turn oven to 400°F.
- Melt a small amount of butter and brush 2-3 sheets of parchment with a thin but even coat of butter. Set aside.
- In a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients, whisk egg whites and sugar until thick and well blended, about 2 minutes. Add vanilla and salt.
- Melt 2 tablespoon butter and add to above, whisk in flour and combine well.
- Using your hands crunch almond slices to break into small pieces. (Each slice should break in about 6-12 pieces.)
- Start with a test of dropping 2-3 teaspoon amounts of cookie batter onto buttered paper. Using the back of a spoon, spread cookie batter as thin and evenly as possible.
- Drop remaining batter onto cookie sheet.
- Place 1 cookie sheet in oven and have metal spatula handy. Optional: Have a cookie cutter the same size as cookies ready.
- Once cookies are golden brown remove from oven. Lift with metal spatula, and if desired, immediately wrap around cannoli shells. Optional, cut cookies with cookie cutter to cut perfectly round or leave cookies with rough edges.
- If cookies get too cold and refuse to bend around cannoli shells place them back in oven to reheat and they will become soft again.
- Once cookies have cooled place them immediately in a plastic bag to keep them crisp.
- Prepare filling: In a bowl stir ricotta, powdered sugar, and lime zest.
- It is best to fill the cookies right before consuming. This will ensure an incredibly crisp result. If desired dip ends in chopped chocolate pieces.
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments