Baked Peach Turnovers
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup homogenized milk
- 3 cups peaches, frozen, thawed and drained
- 1/4 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Measure flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into mixing bowl.
- Cut in shortening until particles are fine.
- Add milk, stirring until dough clings together into a ball. Knead lightly on floured surface a few times.
- Divide into 6 or 8 equal pieces and roll each into a circle.
- Mix drained peaches, sugar, nutmeg, butter and, if necessary, 1 - 2 tablespoons flour to make filling. Place filling in center of each circle of pastry; fold to make half-moon shaped pies. Crimp edges of pastry with fork to seal. Brush each pie with a mixture of egg beaten with one tablespoon water to help pastries brown nicely.
- Place on baking sheet in 450°F oven and bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Using juice from peaches, add enough sifted powdered sugar and a dash of nutmeg to make a glaze. Brush glaze on pastries while still warm.
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments