Banana Cinnamon Rolls With Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 cup banana puree obtained from about 3 large bananas
- 2/3 cup water, room temperature
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 1/2 cups bread flour*
- 4 tablespoons instant yeast
- 1/4 cup water, lukewarm
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, very soft
- 1 stick + 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, soft
- 3/4 cup, well packed Imperial Sugar Dark Brown Sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon (preferably Vietnamese)
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts or pecan pieces
- 3 bananas
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 (8oz.) packages cream cheese, soft
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Pour banana puree in a bowl followed by water, eggs, vanilla, sugar, honey, and salt. Place flour on top.
- Combine yeast with lukewarm water and place on top of flour.
- In a stand mixer with the dough hook, mix dough until elastic and smooth, about 5-7 minutes on medium speed. If dough feels stiff add a small amount of water. If it feels still soft add a small amount of flour. Flour brands differ in water absorption so you may have to tweak it a bit.
- Gradually add pieces of butter to dough allowing each to be fully incorporated before adding the next amount. When incorporated, stop mixing.
- Cover bowl with plastic food wrap and set in a warm place (top of the refrigerator) and allow dough to rise until doubled in volume, about 60-80 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare filling by whisking butter, brown sugar, vanilla and cinnamon smooth. Set aside at room temperature. Do not add nuts or bananas yet.
- Prepare 2 large cookie sheets by either brushing liberally with butter or preferably line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- When dough has doubled in size remove from the bowl. This will make dough collapse, which is normal and required. Set aside covered with plastic food wrap for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile cut bananas lengthwise in 3-4 strips. Then slice crosswise in thin slices and stir into cinnamon mixture.
- On a well-floured surface roll dough into a rectangle measuring roughly 24 x 15-inches.
- Spread cinnamon paste evenly over surface and sprinkle with nuts.
- Starting from bottom edge, roll dough forward into a long roll. Cut dough crosswise in half. Cut each half in half again and then cut each piece into 4 equal pieces.
- Place 7- 8 rolls per cookie sheet, either individually or touching in a circle. Cover with plastic food wrap.
- Place in a warm place until rolls have gained about 75% in volume; this will take nearly 1 hour. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place proofed buns in oven and bake until light golden brown, about 23-26 minutes. Meanwhile prepare frosting by combining cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla. This frosting recipe is low on sugar and if not sweet enough for your taste, you can easily add additional powdered sugar. Cover and set aside.
- Remove rolls from oven and let sit cool for about 15 minutes. Cover with frosting and serve. If not serving immediately, freeze and warm in microwave when ready to eat.