Banana Cream Pie with Nutella Topped Crust
- 1 prepared pie crust
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2/3 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour*
- Pinch salt
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large bananas, sliced
- Whipped Cream, as desired
- Shaved chocolate, as desired
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Fill bottom of prepared pie crust with Nutella. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, scald the milk. Remove from heat.
- In a separate saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt, and gradually whisk in the scalded milk. Stir constantly over medium low heat, until thickened.
- Place beaten yolks into a mixing bowl. Whisk a small amount of the hot mixture into beaten yolks; once combined, whisk yolks into the hot mixture.
- Cook over medium low heat for a minute or until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and blend in the butter and vanilla. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- As mixture cools, slice bananas and scatter over the Nutella; pour warm mixture over bananas.
- Allow to set in refrigerator until completely cooled. Top with whipped cream and shaved chocolate, as desired.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Susan Whetzel @doughmesstic.