- 4 cups sliced bananas
- 1/4 cup Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Empanada Dough
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/4 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup warm milk
- Egg Wash
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 tablespoon milk
- For dusting Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Prepare baking sheet with parchment paper or silicon baking mat. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine sliced bananas, sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla extract. Stir to coat banana slices evenly. Set aside.
- To a food processor add flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Pulse to combine. Add shortening and pulse to combine. Slowly add milk, process until dough comes together.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface; knead until smooth. Cover; let rest 30 minutes in refrigerator before using.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Roll out chilled dough on a lightly floured surface. Using a drinking glass, cut out round disc shapes for empanadas. Spoon banana filling in center of each empanada disc. Fold, seal with a fork then place on a baking sheet. Brush with egg wash.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely, dust with powdered sugar.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Vianney Rodriguez @sweetlifebake.com