Banana Rum Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup mashed bananas
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons spiced rum
- 3 cups Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Prepare 18 muffin cups with paper liners. Set aside.
- In bowl of a stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Combine dry ingredients with butter and sugar mixture, then add eggs and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add bananas, rum, vanilla and buttermilk and beat until mixture is smooth. Add bowl of dry ingredients, a little at a time, until it has all been incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Scoop or spoon batter into lined muffin cups and bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 5 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Top with frosting, if desired.
- To make frosting: Combine all ingredients in bowl of a stand mixer. Beat until smooth. Use immediately.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Susan Whetzel @doughmesstic.
Check out our video section where Chef Eddy shows you how to make a delicious and fluffy cream cheese frosting from scratch.
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments