Banana Upside Down Cake
- Topping (bottom of the pan)
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 bananas, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds (may need more depending on how arranged)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Pinch cloves
- Pinch salt
- 3/4 cup Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup mashed banana (about 2 medium-sized bananas)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup oil
- 2 eggs
- Optional Crème Chantilly
- Optional Vanilla Bean Frozen Custard
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch round baking pan. Set aside.
- Combine melted butter and brown sugar and spread mixture into bottom of prepared baking pan. Arrange banana slices on top of brown sugar mixture. (This will ultimately be the top of your cake.)
- In a large bowl, whisk all dry ingredients together. Add wet ingredients and stir until completely combined with no lumps. Pour batter into prepared pan on top of bananas. It will fill almost to the top of the pan. Place cake pan on a baking sheet to prevent possible spillage.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cake cool for 5 minutes in pan then turn out on a large plate or platter. (If you wait too long, caramelized brown sugar will stick to the pan.)
- Cake is best served warm but can be made one day in advance. Top with vanilla ice cream or creme Chantilly, if desired.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Jessica Kraft @sprinklesomesugar.