Dried Fruit Mix
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup dried apricots, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup dates, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup dried cherries or cranberries
- 1 cup dried figs, stem removed, coarsely chopped
- Zest of 2 oranges, no white bitter pith
- Zest of 2 lemons, no white bitter pith
- 1/2 cup brandy or cognac or apple cider
- 1/3 cup orange liqueur or apple cider
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (Vietnamese preferred)
- 1 teaspoon dried ginger
- Pinch cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, very soft
- 1 1/3 cup Imperial Sugar Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup apple cider or orange juice
- 2/3 cup pecans (halves or pieces)
- 2/3 cup walnuts (halves or pieces
- Apricot Fruit Spread
- A few candied orange peels, whole pecans, pistachios, cranberries
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- In a bowl combine all dried fruits, citrus zest, and liqueurs or cider. Cover with plastic food wrap and place in a refrigerator overnight. If in a hurry, heat mixture until lukewarm and fruits have absorbed most of the liquid.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Butter and flour a 9- or 10-inch tube pan and set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Add cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and salt. Set aside.
- In a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients, mix butter until creamy. Add brown sugar and honey and combine well.
- Add eggs one at a time waiting for previously added egg to be fully incorporated and scraping in between. Add apple cider.
- Add dry sifted ingredients and mix until combined.
- Add macerated fruit mixture including any juices.
- Transfer mixture to prepared pan and place in oven. Bake until center of cake bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger, about 70-80 minutes.
- After 10 minutes remove cake from pan and place on a serving platter. You may have to loosen cake carefully with a pairing knife.
- Heat apricot fruit spread until warm and brush over top of cake.
- Once cake has cooled wrap airtight.