Bittersweet Balsamic Strawberry Swirl Brownies
- 1 1/4 cups (5 oz) cake flour*
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 12 ounces (3 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 ounces (1/4 block) cream cheese, softened
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped fine (or high-quality chips)
- 7 tablespoons cocoa powder (not Dutch process)
- 2 tablespoons Oreo-type cocoa powder**
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 1/4 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon good quality balsamic vinegar (can be flavored)
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup good quality strawberry jam
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Prepare a 9x13" pan or a 9x9" pan by lining the pan with one long strip of parchment paper or non-stick foil cut to fit the width of the pan. Allow either end of strip to hang out over the edges. Spray inside of pan with non-stick spray and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 325F and set oven rack in the center of the oven.
- Whisk together flour and baking powder in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt together butter and cream cheese, whisking well as they melt. Pour the butter over chopped chocolate and whisk until melted and smooth. Carefully whisk in cocoa powder.
- Whisk in sugar and balsamic. Do not worry if mixture appears broken. Thoroughly whisk in eggs, one at a time. Thoroughly fold in dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, whisk jam and balsamic together until thoroughly combined.
- Spread slightly more than half the batter in the pan. Top with strawberry balsamic mixture and spread evenly.
- Randomly drop in spoonfuls of remaining batter.
- Pull a knife back and forth through the batter, first one way and then the other.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs, about 50 minutes to an hour for a 9x9" pan and about 35-45 minutes for a 9x13" pan.
- Cool completely before slicing, or if serving warm, slice carefully with a serrated knife, dipping the blade in hot water and wiping off between every slice.
Imperial Sugar Insight
**NOTE: If unable to find Oreo-style cocoa powder, increase regular cocoa powder to 9 tablespoons in lieu of 7.
Truly a super moist brownie and the balsamic and strawberry flavor tastes amazing! So hard to not eat all of these.