Black Currant Lemon Cupcakes
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 sticks (16 tablespoons) unsalted butter, soft
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 jar black currant fruit spread
- 2 sticks (16 tablespoons) unsalted butter, very soft
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- Mix butter until creamy and smooth. Add sugar and mix until light and fluffy. Add one egg at a time and mix well between each.
- Add salt, vanilla extract, and lemon zest.
- Add one third of flour and mix until combined. Add half of sour cream and mix until smooth. Add another one third of flour and mix smooth. Add sour cream and once combined add remaining flour.
- Place paper cups in a muffin tin and fill the cups 3/4 full. Place in oven and bake for 18 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes clean. Let cool.
- Using an apple corer or a paring knife, make a tunnel from top to bottom, not larger than size of a pinky finger.
- Fill indention with black currant fruit spread.
- Prepare frosting by mixing butter with paddle attachment until light and creamy. Add sugar and mix until light and fluffy. If butter was too cold, use a hair dryer to heat bowl while it is mixing.
- Add one tablespoon of evaporated milk to creamed mixture. Keep beating and once it looks smooth again, add another couple of tablespoons. Repeat process of gradually adding milk while beating well in between. Add vanilla.
- Frost cupcakes or pipe frosting using a piping bag fitted with a large star tip.