Black Forest Mousse Cake
- 2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cherry extract
- 1 cup boiling water
Chocolate Mousse Middle Layer
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 jar (10 oz) sliced maraschino cherries
- 1/2 cup maraschino cherry juice
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 cups whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 jar (10 oz) whole maraschino cherries, drained
- 1 cup chocolate curls/chocolate shavings
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- For Chocolate Cake, preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Mix in eggs, milk, vegetable oil, and cherry extract.
- Mix in boiling water until super smooth.
- Pour into 2, 9-inch greased cake pans and bake for 30 minutes or until done.
- Let cakes cool completely.
- For Chocolate Mousse and Middle Layer, while cake is baking, pour 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips into heat proof bowl.
- In small saucepan, heat 1 cup heavy cream until just before boiling.
- Pour hot heavy cream over chocolate chips. Stir until melted and super smooth.
- Place into fridge for 1 hour.
- In another small saucepan, heat 1/2 cup cherry juice and 1/2 cup sugar.
- Heat over medium heat and stir until sugar is dissolved. Set aside and let cool.
- Once chocolate mixture has chilled for 1 hour, whip with an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- For Topping, add whipping cream, vanilla extract, and sugar to bowl of electric mixer.
- Mix on high until stiff peaks form.
- To Assemble, level cakes.
- Brush both cakes with cherry syrup. Let sit for 2-3 minutes.
- Place first layer of cake on cake plate. Add chocolate mousse to cake layer. Top mousse with sliced maraschino cherries.
- Place 2nd cake layer on top of mousse and cherries with cherry syrup side facing down.
- Place 1 cup whipped cream topping in a piping bag fitted with a large star tip.
- Frost cake with remaining whipped topping.
- Pipe rosettes around top of cake.
- Place cherries in center of rosettes.
- Add chocolate curls to side of cake and sprinkle on top.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Angie Barrett @BigBearsWife.