Blackberry Almond Pinwheels
- 2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup salted butter, cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup packed Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Egg white
- 1/2 cup blackberry jam
- 1/4 cup chopped, sliced almonds
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt together. Set aside.
- With an electric mixer, cream butter and sugars together for a few minutes until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and almond extract, scraping down sides and bottom of the bowl as needed. Add flour on low speed in two additions.
- Remove dough onto a piece of plastic wrap and form into a rectangle. Cover completely and refrigerate for 45 minutes.
- When dough is thoroughly chilled, preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Scatter almonds on baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes or until lightly golden. Let cool, then stir together with jam.
- On a floured surface, roll dough to an approximately 13x8” rectangle. Spread jam/almond mixture onto dough, leaving edges uncovered. Roll lengthwise, into a 13” long roll. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- With a fork, beat egg white with 1 tablespoon of water.
- Using a sharp knife, slice cookie dough into rounds, about 1/4” wide. Lay cookies on prepared cookie sheets. Brush with egg wash, then sprinkle with turbinado.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly golden. Let cool on sheet for 1-2 minutes, then transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Bridget Edwards @Bake at 350.