Blackberry Cardamom Pavlova
- Preheat oven to 210°F.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper on a large cookie sheet. Using a pencil draw an 8-inch circle onto parchment paper. Flip paper upside down and set aside.
- The meringue shell can be made with or without a piping bag. If using, fit a piping bag with a large plain pastry tube and set aside.
- Whip egg whites to froth and while whipping gradually add first listed 1/2 cup sugar. Add vanilla extract.
- Continue whipping on medium speed to very stiff peaks.
- Mix remaining sugar with cardamom. Stop whipping and using a rubber spatula gently fold remaining sugar into meringue. Once combined stop folding.
- If using a piping bag, pipe an 8-inch spiral onto parchment paper. On the edge, pipe large kisses and place in oven. Without pastry bag spoon meringue into drawn circle. Using a spoon, spread meringue even in center while building a higher border. Place in oven.
- Bake until meringue is thoroughly crisp. This will take at least 2 hours. Once cooled, store meringue airtight to prevent meringue from becoming soggy.
- When ready to serve, fill meringue with Crème Chantilly.
- Arrange blackberries on top of Crème Chantilly. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Store refrigerated.
Imperial Sugar Insight
- If during baking the meringue starts to lightly brown, reduce oven temperature by 20 degrees. Many oven readings are incorrect.
- Meringue can be challenging to make on humid days. Take the humidity into account before attempting this recipe.