Blackberry Coconut Tamales with Lime Glaze
Dried Corn Husks
- 12 dried corn husks for tamales
- 2 cups masa harina for tamales
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 1 cup milk, warmed
- 12 ounces blackberries
- 2 cups shredded sweetened coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon lime zest
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- To prepare husks, separate corn husks, remove any silk and rinse. Place husks in a large bowl, and cover with hot water. Soak husks for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- For masa, in a bowl combine masa harina, ground cinnamon, baking powder, and salt.
- In a stand mixer, whip shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Reduce speed, and slowly add masa harina mix. Mix until well combined.
- Add warm milk and mix until well combined.
- To assemble, remove husks from water and drain.
- Place 3 tablespoons of masa on softened corn husk.
- Spread, leaving 1/4 inch from flat end of husk.
- Place 2-3 blackberries in middle, sprinkle with coconut.
- Fold both sides in tightly to overlap and fold pointed end up to meet flat end.
- Place on a baking sheet, covered with a damp kitchen towel and continue this process until all tamales are assembled.
- Prepare steamer by filling bottom of steamer with water until you reach lip, then insert steamer tray.
- Place tamales upright in steamer, open end facing up.
- Cover, bring to a boil, allow to boil for 5 minutes, reduce heat and simmer for 40 minutes.
- While tamales cook, make lime glaze.
- For lime glaze, zest lime and set aside.
- Whisk together powdered sugar and lime juice until smooth. Stir in lime zest.
- Allow tamales to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve drizzled with lime glaze
- Garnish with additional blackberries and coconut, optional.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Vianney Rodriguez @sweetlifebake.com.
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments