- 1 Pure Butter Pie Crust (9 inches)
- 8 cups blackberries or dewberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter, optional
- Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream, optional
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare a 9-inch pie crust and set aside.
- Combine blackberries, flour, sugar, and salt in a bowl. If using frozen berries it is necessary to let mixture sit at room temperature for at least 90 minutes.
- Scrape mixture into pie shell. Melt butter and pour over berries, if using.
- Roll remaining pie dough in a circle large enough to cover pie. Using a small round cutter, cut a few circles on surface and retain rounds. Place dough onto pie.
- Cut away excess dough from edge.
- Place rounds on surface and brush entire top with a thin coat of water.
- Sprinkle surface with a thin even layer of sugar and place pie in oven.
- Bake until filling makes thick bubbles in center, about 70 minutes if using fresh berries and 95 minutes if using frozen berries.