- To prepare tea, place 4 cups of water in a large pot and add granulated sugar.
- Bring water to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Remove water from heat once boiling and add tea bags.
- Let tea steep until it cools to room temperature. Transfer tea to a pitcher and place in fridge to speed up cooling process, if desired. Once cool, remove tea bags.
- To cook quick-cooking tapioca pearls*, bring 6 cups of water to a rolling boil and add quick-cooking black tapioca pearls. Do not add pearls until water is at a full boil. Stir pearls and let them cook for about 7 - 10 minutes. Pearls will float to top when done. Remove from heat, cover pot, and let pearls sit in hot water for an additional 10 - 15 minutes, or until desired level of chewiness is reached. Drain and rinse pearls under cold water and transfer to a bowl.
- To assemble drinks, divide cooked tapioca pearls into 4 large glasses. Add a few ice cubes to each glass and pour 1 cup of tea into each glass.
- Add about 2 tablespoons of milk on top, stir and serve. Add more milk or tea, to taste. For any extra boba, soak in water and store in the refrigerator. Boba pearls are best used immediately after cooking.
*If tapioca pearls have directions on package, cook according to package instructions. We used the quick-cooking tapioca. Non-quick cook brands may have longer cook times. Tapioca pearls can be found in the Asian section of larger grocery stores, or purchased online. This is the brand used in this recipe.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Jessica Segarra @TheNoviceChef.