- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, cored and very finely diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- 1 can (12 oz) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 (14 oz) cans diced tomatoes (do not drain)
- 2 (28 oz) cans crushed tomatoes (do not drain)
- 8 ounces baby portobello mushrooms, finely diced
- 10 ounces beef stock or beef broth
- 4 ounces dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and bell pepper. Sauté until onion is translucent, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Add beef and Italian sausage to pan and cook, breaking into small pieces, until no longer pink, about 7 minutes. Drain any excess grease.
- Add tomato paste, salt, pepper, oregano, basil, and thyme. Cook for 1 minute, stirring until well combined.
- Add diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, mushrooms, beef broth, red wine, and sugar. Stir until combined and add bay leaves.
- Bring sauce to a boil, and then reduce to low and simmer for at least 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Allow sauce to thicken. The longer you simmer, the thicker it will become. Cook sauce until it reaches desired consistency.
- Serve over pasta, or as desired. You can also freeze this bolognese for up to 3 months.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Jessica Segarra @TheNoviceChef.