Bourbon Pecan Brownies
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 1/4 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons bourbon
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped pecans
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9x13-inch baking pan with parchment paper and coat with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Once melted, add in sugar and stir constantly until sugar is combined and begins to dissolve and gets shiny, but not bubbly. Temperature should reach 120°F. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl whisk together eggs, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, and bourbon. Mixture will be very thick. Add in warm butter mixture and continue whisking until mostly smooth.
- Using rubber spatula or wooden spoon stir in flour until combined, about 50 strokes. Add in chocolate chips and pecans and stir until evenly incorporated.
- Spread brownie batter into prepared pan and bake for 28-32 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted 2-inches from edge of pan comes out clean.
- Allow brownies to cool completely in pan before removing them using parchment paper and transferring to a cutting board to cut into pieces.
- Store airtight at room temperature for up to 3 days for best freshness.
You can omit the bourbon if you prefer and just sub it with 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract. You can also omit the nuts and add in another cup of chocolate chips.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Shelly Jaronsky @CookiesandCups.