Braided Cherry Danish
- 1 box (2 pastries) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups sweet cherries (fresh or frozen) pitted
- 2/3 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Make the filling: In a small saucepan, heat butter, cherries and sugar over medium low heat until sugar has dissolved. Stir in cornstarch, and continue to cook over low heat until thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla, and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Making the braid: Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper; set aside. On a lightly floured surface, unroll one pastry dough to 1/4 inch thick. Place dough on baking sheet.
- Along one long side of dough make parallel cuts with a knife or rolling pastry wheel, each about 1/2 inch apart, coming in towards center of dough, stopping 1 inch from the center. Repeat on opposite side, making sure to line up the cuts with those already made.
- Spoon cherry mixture into braid, omitting any non-thickened juices. Fill braid down center of rectangle. Starting with top and bottom “flaps”, fold top flap over filling to cover. Next, fold bottom “flap” up to cover filling. This helps keep braid neat and helps to hold in filling. Now begin folding cut side strips of dough over filling, alternating first left, then right, left, right, until finished. Trim any excess dough and tuck in ends.
- Repeat entire process with second pastry sheet.
- Whisk egg together in a bowl. With a pastry brush, lightly coat braid with egg wash.
- Bake braids for 25-30 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown. Remove from oven. Serve warm, or allow to cool. Keep stored in air-tight container.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Susan Whetzel @doughmesstic.