Brown Sugar Coconut Macaroons
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar or Imperial Sugar Dark Brown Sugar, well packed
- 2 cups finely shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil (optional)
- Set oven to 360°F.
- In a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients mix egg whites and brown sugar using a sturdy rubber spatula. Add coconut.
- Create a Bain-Marie (water bath) by placing a heatproof bowl over a large pot filled with an inch of water. Turn heat to medium and constantly stir mixture until it reaches about 110°F-120°F. (A bit warmer than shower water.) Remove from heat and add vanilla. Set aside for at least 30 minutes or until batter is at room temperature.
- Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper or properly brush sheets with melted butter. Parchment paper can also be buttered as it provides a delicious bottom crust on macaroons. Allow butter to solidify before proceeding with scooping.
- Use an ice cream scoop that holds two tablespoons or scoop 2 tablespoon amounts onto pans.
- Place in oven and bake util golden and bottom edges browned, about 15 minutes.
- Macaroons need to be completely cooled before drizzling with chocolate.
- Combine chocolate and oil in a microwave proof bowl and heat in 10 second increments. Once chocolate is 2/3 melted keep stirring until no lumps remain. Additional oil can be added to thin chocolate more. Do not add water as it thickens chocolate.
- Spoon or drizzle onto macaroons. While chocolate is still tacky sprinkle with a little coconut.
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments