Brown Sugar Pie
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, soft
- 2/3 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 7/8 cups + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour*
Brown Sugar Custard
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar, well packed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- For crust, mix butter and powdered sugar until well blended. Add egg and mix until well combined. Add salt and vanilla.
- Add flour in one step and mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Press dough evenly flat onto a sheet of plastic food film. Place dough in refrigerator or freezer for at least 30 minutes or until well chilled.
- Meanwhile chill work surface area that you will be rolling dough on by placing 1-2 cookie sheets filled with ice cubes on area.
- Set aside an 8-inch pie pan that can hold 4 cups of water.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Sprinkle chilled area lightly with flour or gluten-free flour and roll dough into a circle large enough to cover entire pie pan. Place dough into place and remove excess.
- Prick bottom using a fork and place in oven. (Filling with pie weights is not necessary.) Check pie shell once it has been in oven for about 5 minutes. If bottom crust is puffing up, prick with tip of a paring knife.
- Bake until light golden brown, about 15-18 minutes. Custard fillings can make crust slightly soggy. Therefore, beat both eggs (listed in custard filling) until well blended. Brush baked crust with a very thin and even coat of well-beaten egg ensuring that it fills any holes made while pricking with a fork. (Remaining eggs are used in the custard.) Return to oven for about 2 minutes until egg wash has fully dried. Set aside. Lower oven temperature to 325°F.
- For custard combine brown sugar, salt, evaporated milk, melted butter, and vanilla. Once well-combined add previously beaten eggs. Let sit for at least 5 minutes for brown sugar to completely dissolve.
- Pour filling into pie crust and place in oven and bake until center of tart no longer trembles, about 45 minutes.
- Once pie is cold and is ready to be served, whip cream, sugar, and vanilla to soft-medium peaks. Serve cream with slices of pie.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Select all-purpose flour with 4 grams/protein on nutrition facts label or use gluten-free flour.
This recipe has been tested with successful results using Gluten-Free Measure for Measure Flour by King Arthur Baking Company.