Browned Butter Cake
Browned Butter Cake
- 1 1/4 cups (2 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar or Imperial Sugar Dark Brown Sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup bourbon, cognac, or amaretto
- Caramel sauce
- 1/2 cup walnut halves
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Place butter in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn heat down so butter will boil very lightly, right between simmering and low boiling.
- After about 5 or more minutes, butter will start to obtain a delicious nutty aroma. Remove from heat when butter is deep golden and has developed a pronounced nutty aroma.
- Pour through a fine mash chinois or cheesecloth ensuring to retain as much as butter as possible. Pour into bowl that cake batter will be prepared in and place in refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Butter and flour or coat a 9- or 10-inch tube or bundt pan with baking spay and set aside. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
- Stir/mix cooling butter. Return to fridge and after about 5 minutes stir again until it obtains consistency similar to mayonnaise and is lump free.
- Add both sugars and mix until well creamed. Add one egg and beat until well combined.
- Add another egg and mix until light and fluffy. Repeat with remaining egg and mix until fluffy.
- Add vanilla extract.
- Add 1/5 of flour mixture and once combined add 1/4 of liquor. Continue alternating with these amounts, scraping bowl well between additions, until well blended.
- Transfer to prepared pan.
- Bake until center of cake bounces back when lightly pressed or a toothpick comes out clean, about 50 minutes.
- Let cake cool for a few minutes before removing from pan and allow to cool.
- Decorate cake with caramel sauce and walnuts.
Imperial Sugar Insight
NOTE: Select flour with 9 grams/protein on nutrition facts label.