Buttermilk Raspberry Pie
- Crust (Cookie Style Pie Dough)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, very soft
- 2/3 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pint raspberries
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Mix butter and powdered sugar using a paddle attachment until well blended. Add egg and mix until well combined. Add salt and vanilla.
- Add flour in one step and on low speed mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Press dough evenly flat onto a sheet of plastic food film. Place dough in refrigerator or freezer for at least 30 minutes or until well chilled. Turn oven to 375°F.
- Meanwhile chill the work surface where you will be rolling dough on by placing one or 2 cookie sheets filled with ice cubes on the area. Set aside an 9-inch pie tin.
- Sprinkle chilled area lightly with flour and roll dough into a circle large enough to cover entire pie tin. Place dough into place and remove excess. Press dough into any cracks or tears. Prick bottom and sides with a fork and place in oven. Place in oven and bake for approximately 13 minutes or until golden and edges are light brown. Optional but good to retain a crispy crust: Brush interior of pie crust evenly with egg white and return to oven for 2-3 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside. Reset oven temperature to 325°F
- In a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients whisk eggs vigorously for 2 minutes. Add sugar and whisk again vigorously. Add flour, buttermilk and vanilla and whisk to combine.
- Pour mixture into pie crust about 3/4 full.
- Drop raspberries into filling- as many as you desire. Pour remaining buttermilk filling into pie. Any leftover can be poured into a ramekin or coffee cup and baked separately.
- Place in oven and bake until pie is set and no longer “trembles” in center when pie is tapped, about 45 minutes.
- After cooling and if desired top with crème Chantilly and raspberries.
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments