Butterscotch Brickle Pie
- 1 store-bought 9-inch pie crust, frozen
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar, firmly packed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 pasteurized eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/3 cup Bit’s O’ Brickle
- Bake pie crust according to package directions. Let completely cool before filling.
- Place gelatin, brown sugar, and salt in medium saucepan.
- Whisk egg yolks in a bowl then stir in milk.
- Pour egg mixture into saucepan with gelatin mixture.
- Cook over medium heat, constantly stirring until mixture reaches 160°F and thickens slightly, about 5-8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla extract.
- Pour mixture into a large bowl and chill in refrigerator until partially set, about 30 minutes.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar with an electric mixer until frothy. Beat in granulated sugar, one tablespoon at a time, until stiff peaks form.
- Fold egg white mixture in with butterscotch filling mixture until combined.
- Pour mixture into cooled, baked pie shell.
- Sprinkle Bit’s O’ Brickle over filling. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe tested and updated for Imperial Sugar by Heather Seeley @foodlovinfamily.