- Graham 9-inch pie shell or standard pie shell
- 5 pouches Redi-Measure or 1 1/4 cups Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 6 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 4 large egg yolks, beaten
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Whipped Creme / Crème Chantilly
- 3/4 cup heavy cream, very cold
- 1 tablespoon Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional: 1 orange
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Best results are obtained by pre-baking graham pie shell. If a standard pie shell is used also pre-baking is necessary. Prepare as usual or follow manufactures direction.
- In a saucepan whisk together sugar, cornstarch and salt. Add milk and whisk mixture constantly to a full boil. When mixture bubbles and is thick remove from heat and pour 1/4 of mixture into egg yolks, whisk quickly. Pour yolk mixture back into saucepan and bring back to a full boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla extract. Cover with plastic food wrap and let sit 5 minutes.
- Pour filling into pie shell and place in refrigerator and let cool completely, at least 2 hours.
- For whipped cream, use a cold bowl and whip together cream, sugar and vanilla until firm peaks form. Decorate pie with whipped cream.
- Wash orange if using and with a microplane or a grater, grate orange avoiding white bitter pith. Sprinkle orange zest onto whipped cream.