Candied Almond Butter Cookies
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Do not preheat oven.
- Prepare candied slivered (do not use sliced) almonds and set aside.
- Mix butter, powdered sugar, salt, and vanilla until smooth and lump free -- but not until light and fluffy.
- Add flour in one step and mix until combined; do not mix more than necessary.
- Add half of candied slivered almonds and mix briefly into dough.
- Roll dough into two tubes about 1.5-inches in diameter onto parchment paper or plastic food wrap, Once shaped, roll tubes in a thin layer of granulated sugar. Slide onto a cutting board and place in freezer until hard, about 40 minutes or several days later if you desire.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Slice frozen dough into 1/4-inch slices and place on parchment lined cookie sheets. Allow cookies to thaw before baking.
- Place in oven and bake until edges are light golden about 16-17 minutes.
- Let cookies cool.
- Place chocolate candy melts in a microwave-safe bowl and heat in 8-10 second intervals until nearly all candy melts are melted. Keep stirring until lump free.
- Pour into a small piping bag or spoon onto cookies. While still wet, sprinkle remaining candied almonds to tops of cookies. Press in gently so the almonds adhere to the chocolate.
**Prepare candied slivered almonds in the same way you would the pecans in the linked recipe. Just use almonds in place of pecans.