Candied Orange Scones
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- If making homemade candied orange peels, prepare a day ahead. If using store-bought candied orange peels, preheat oven to 400°F. Prepare baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Grate butter into flour mixture using large holes on grater. Use your fingers or a pastry cutter to work butter into flour until it resembles course meal.
- Stir in chopped candied orange peel.
- In a small bowl whisk together yogurt, egg, and orange zest. Add to flour mixture. Use a fork to stir it until dough clumps form. Continue to press dough together with your hands.
- Place on a lightly floured surface, press into an 8 inch circle, and cut into 8 triangles. Sprinkle with more sugar, if desired. Place prepared baking sheet and bake for 15-17 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Imperial Sugar Insight
- To make mini scones, divide dough into two equal portions before pressing into two circles. Cut into 6 triangles each (12 total). Bake for 12-14 minutes.
- Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Susan Whetzel @doughmesstic