Candied Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/4 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts, pieces and halves
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
- 2 sticks (16 tablespoons) unsalted butter, soft
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar, well packed
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 (12 oz) bag chocolate chips, about 50% cocoa mass content
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- For candied walnuts, combine sugar, water, salt, and vanilla in a sauté pan. Bring to a boil.
- Add walnuts and toss in syrup. Cook a few minutes and until most of syrup is evaporated. Remove from heat. Stir in walnuts until a grainy coating develops on their surface.
- Turn heat back on to medium and toss walnuts until white coating caramelizes and they sound “dry.”
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and remove from heat. Let walnuts cool on a plate or parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- For cookie dough, cream butter until smooth. Add sugars and cream further. Add eggs one at a time. Add vanilla, salt, and mix until light and creamy.
- Sift together flour and baking soda. Add flour in one step to creamed mixture and mix until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Add chocolate chips and cooled walnuts.
- Scoop dough using a large ice cream scoop or in a bout 2 heaping tablespoon size amounts.
- Place on a parchment or buttered cookie sheets.
- Bake until light golden brown, about 11-13 minutes. For soft and chewy cookies bake them until center is still soft. For a firmer cookie bake slightly longer.
NOTE: Select flour with 3 grams/protein on nutrition facts label.