Candy Cane Shortbread
- 2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 9 ounces high quality dark chocolate, melted
- 1/4 cup crushed candy canes or peppermint candies
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 325ºF. Line a 9 X 9-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Mix in flour until mixture forms into large clumps that stick together.
- Press dough into prepared baking dish. Place another piece of parchment paper over top, and use your hands to smooth dough into an even layer.
- Remove top layer of parchment paper and bake cookie bars for 30 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow cookies to cool for about 5 minutes. Use a sharp knife to cut bars, and allow them to cool completely in pan.
- Once cooled, remove them from pan and cut them again.
- Drizzle with melted chocolate and sprinkle with candy cane pieces. Let chocolate cool and harden before serving.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Ashton Swank @KeatsEats.