- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar, plus additional for dusting
- 3/4 cup corn starch
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 11 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into pieces
- 3 hardboiled egg yolks, mashed through a sieve
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Using a food processor add flour, powdered sugar, corn starch, lemon zest, salt. Pulse to combine. Add butter, pulse. Add egg yolks. Pulse until combined to dough like consistency.
- Turn dough onto a lighted floured cleaned work surface and knead until dough forms a ball. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and transfer to refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Line rimmed baking sheets with a silpat mat or parchment paper. Set aside.
- Roll dough to about 1/2-inch thickness. Using a 2-inch flower shaped cookie cutter cut as many flowers as possible. Transfer cookies to baking sheet. Re-roll any leftover dough and continue until all dough has been used.
- Using a straw or piping tip cut holes in middle of each "flower."
- Bake for about 14-16 minutes until firm. Cookies should not brown. Allow to cool on baking sheet then transfer to cooling rack.
- Dust with powdered sugar once completely cooled. Store cookies in an airtight container.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Paula Jones @bellalimento.