- To make syrup, heat water and sugar until sugar dissolves. Place in refrigerator while you make puree.
- Cut cantaloupe in half, wrap and chill one half of melon for another use if too large for your needs.
- Scoop melon away from rind. Chop and deseed melon, then place in blender. Puree the melon until you have approximately 5 cups.
- Add chilled syrup, lemon juice, vanilla and rum, and salt. Add or subtract to taste. Bear in mind, this puree does not have a lot of flavor, so use your judgement.
- Add to ice cream machine and follow manufacturers instructions for freezing. Freeze until ready to serve.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Susan Whetzel @doughmesstic.