- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 5 large eggs
- 4 1/2 teaspoons instant espresso granules dissolved in 4 teaspoons hot water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Instant espresso granules, optional
- Cinnamon sticks, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To prepare caramel sauce, bring sugar and water to boil in a saucepan over high heat, stir once to incorporate sugar. Once sugar water mixture boils, reduce heat and allow to cook for 5 minutes or until syrup turns to a caramel color.
- Carefully pour caramel into an 8-inch round cake pan swirling pan to coat with caramel sauce. Place cake pan into a larger roasting pan.
- To prepare flan, start by adding sweetened condensed milk, heavy cream, eggs, espresso, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt to a blender.
- Blend until smooth. Pour flan mixture into caramel-prepared cake pan. Place roasting pan with cake pan into oven and carefully fill pan halfway with warm water to create a water bath.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Carefully remove roasting pan from oven, remove cake pan from roasting pan and allow it to cool for at least 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, cover with plastic film and place in a refrigerator to chill for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- When ready to serve, carefully run a sharp knife around cake pan to loosen flan, place a larger plate over cake pan and flip over to release flan.
- Optional: Serve garnished with espresso powder and cinnamon sticks.