Caramel Apple Chocolate Bark
- 1 large red apple
- 1 tablespoon Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 8 ounces dark chocolate
- 12 caramels, unwrapped
- Optional: milk
For the baked apples:
- Preheat oven to 200°F. Line an 11x7-inch baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- Thinly slice apple using a very sharp knife or a mandolin. Place apple slices in a single layer on prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for two hours, flipping apples halfway through baking. Turn off oven and let apples cool completely. Crush apple chips into large pieces; set aside.
For the bark:
- Line an 11x7-inch baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, microwave chocolate for 45 seconds and stir. If not completely melted, microwave in 15-second intervals, stirring after each interval, until smooth.
- Pour chocolate onto prepared baking sheet and spread into a rectangle. Top with apple chips. Set aside.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, microwave caramels for 30 seconds and stir. If not completely melted, microwave in 10-second intervals, stirring after each interval, until smooth. (Some caramels may need a little milk added to soften caramels into a drizzle stage. If needed, add one teaspoon of milk and stir until smooth.) Drizzle caramel on top of bark.
- Chill bark in refrigerator for 30 minutes, or until hardened. Break into large pieces and serve.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Jessica Segarra @TheNoviceChef.
This was very easy to make. I made more than the recipe called for and I mixed up unsweetened baking chocolate with semi-sweet and added a touch of sugar. I think next time I might throw some nuts on the top.