Caramel Apple Crumb Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon (Vietnamese preferred)
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, very soft
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 Granny Smith or Golden Delicious apples
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup Imperial Sugar Dark Brown Sugar
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line bottom and sides of a 9-inch square pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Prepare streusel by placing brown sugar and flour in a bowl. Grate very cold butter on small eyes of grater directly into flour. Toss around well and add cinnamon and salt. Rub mixture until it becomes sandy/crumbly and is golden brown. Set aside.
- For cake sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon and set aside.
- Mix butter until light and fluffy, add sugar and honey and mix 3-4 minutes more.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing well in between ensuring a light batter. Add vanilla and salt.
- Peel and quarter apples. Cut each quarter lengthwise in 4 wedges and cut crosswise in about 6. Add to above until just mixed in.
- Alternately and in about 3 increments add sifted flour mixture and sour cream to above.
- Scrape mixture into prepared pan and sprinkle streusel on top.
- Place in oven and bake until center bounces back or an inserted toothpick comes out clean, about 38-42 minutes.
- Prepare caramel by bringing to a boil cream, brown sugar, and butter. Boil for 2-3 minutes or until it has slightly thickened. Remove from heat and add salt and vanilla.
- Drizzle caramel on cake and serve.